It’s been a ‘wet and wild’ start to winter, with Perth recording its wettest day in more than five years on Monday 5th June 2023.
With heavy rainfall and cold temperatures comes the increased threat of mould.
At this time of year, we are often asked by our clients if you can insure against mould damage? Generally, the answer is no.
Most property insurance policies (home or business) do not accept mould damage as an insurable risk. That’s because the damage caused by mould can be minimal if it’s addressed promptly, therefore outbreaks are considered to be preventable.
In saying this, if your experience mould damage to your property as a result of another claimable event, such as an extreme weather event that causes flooding or a burst water pipe, then you may be covered. The best way to find out, is to contact your insurer or insurance broker to discuss the details of your policy.
Taking preventative measures to reduce the incidence of mould outbreaks is also far more effective than trying to treat mould once it has started to occur. Some simple things you can do are:
- Opening windows and doors to air out damp rooms
- Ensuring good ventilation in wet areas such as bathrooms and laundries
- Wiping hard surfaces with detergent, white vinegar or a commercial mould removal products
- Sponging soft furnishings with white vinegar or baking soda before drying them out thoroughly
- If you live in a humid climate area, using a dehumidifier inside your home to draw out excess moisture and condensation from the air
It’s also important to attend to any underlying causes of mould as soon as a problem is detected. This includes leaky showers, pipes and ceilings and structural issues such as rising damp.
Having the right insurance cover will also help safeguard your personal and business assets, in the event of damage or loss. If you haven’t reviewed your property insurance policies for a while, now is a great time to consider whether the cover you have is appropriate for your needs. Our experienced team of insurance brokers can help you determine the right level of cover for your needs. Contact us today.